Tuesday January 15th, 2019
- Jesuit Heritage Days
- The Life of St. Ignatius St. Ignatius, the founder of the Society of Jesus, or the Jesuits, was born in the Basque region of Spain in 1491 to a noble family and was a soldier for many years. One of his legs was seriously hurt by a cannonball in a battle in Pamplona, Spain. During his long period of recovery in Montserrat and Manresa, Spain, St. Ignatius only had books on the lives of Jesus and the saints to read. He underwent a spiritual conversion, and he decided to dedicate his life to serving God. After visiting the Holy Land and traveling around Spain, Ignatius decided to attend the University of Paris, where he eventually founded the Jesuit order, along with his early companions. After graduating from university, Ignatius spent many years in Rome as the Superior General of the Jesuit order, directing the members of the Society of Jesus to start schools and universities around the world, and to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ to all people.
- LSHA Assembly Meeting
- The Loyola Student House of Assembly will hold its first General Meeting Thursday, January 17th, at Lunch, immediately following Mass. All members of the LSHA executive, all class presidents and all grade level consuls should be in attendance. If a class president is unable to attend, the vice-president should take his place at the meeting. We will be voting on important financial requests that various groups and clubs throughout the school have submitted. This will be a working Lunch and we have been granted special permission to eat lunch during the meeting. You should bring your lunch as you will not have time to go to the Cafeteria. Listen to the Bulletin tomorrow for the room location.
- Lost and Found
- We have found a gold cross with its chain, a set of house or car keys (Elico) and a black leather jacket; if any of those items belong to you, please collect them in the Reception.
- Peer Tutors needed
- The Peer Tutoring Program is in need of tutors in all subjects. It only takes one hour a week to make a big difference in the life of a fellow student. Hours can be used towards CSP. If you need a peer tutor or want to become one, please see Ms. Percival to sign up.
- Venture - 55 Fiction
- Nicholas Cross
- Congratulations to Loyola's own Nicholas Cross for winning the Bronze award at the Elite 8 National Judo Championships on Sunday. This win means Nick is now ranked 3rd in Canada in the heavyweight division, this despite actually being underweight, undersized, and the youngest contender in the competition! Bravo Nicholas!
- Ed Meagher Sports Tournament: Scorekeeper and DJ's
- Many students and players are already signed up online to volunteer for next week's sports tournament. Please remember to check your email from Mr. Elie for instructions on signing up if you would like to help out. All hockey and basketball players are required to sign up for at least one time slot. The deadline for players to sign up is Thursday at 3:30 p.m. Please note that there are many incomplete sign ups because Mr. Elie is missing an email address or the student has not put their name in a specific spot or time. This can be done using the different tabs of the Google sheet shared with all students. There is a different tab for each of our locations, including the arena or either of the two gyms we are using for basketball. Contact or find Mr. Elie or Mr. Hurst for help.
- Intramural Basketball (IBA)
- Secondary III to V students who are interested in playing in the IBA this season can still do so at the Intramural Pillar. DEADLINE to sign up is Thursday, January 17th. If you have any questions please see Mr. Santillo.
- Pee Wee Hockey Scouts Division 1
- The Peewee Scouts D1 closed out the week on Friday with a win against John Rennie High School. The Scouts dominated early, setting a good tempo and out-shooting their opponent 50-8. Despite some lapses in team play, specifically not passing the puck enough, the Scouts capitalized on scoring opportunities and played a much more disciplined game. Congratulations to Petro Muratori for recording his second shutout of the season. The Scouts will travel to Heritage Regional this afternoon, the beginning of three back-to-back games this week. Please dismiss all team members at 1:30 p.m. Go Scouts!